Thursday 7 January 2010

Theres a magical place...















See that poorly taken photo? Thats inside Toys'R'Us in Time Square. Yes thats right - there is a ferris wheel INSIDE THE BUILDING!

Im settling in quite well here. My hostel is in Harlem, which is a really cool neighbourhood - the people on the street are helpful and friendly, theres loads of convenience stores and some brilliant murals on the sides of buildings. The hostel itself is small but clean, and the atmosphere is really friendly, everyone talks and gets along really well. Im also getting used to the time zone issues, which means Im not waking up at 5 in the morning. Hurray!

Yesterday being the first day I thought Id do something really iconic and positive, so I went to see the statue of liberty. Except the tickets were sold out for the day. So I took it as a sign and instead visited ground zero. No good pictures to display Im afraid as my camera wasnt set up at the time, but aside from a mural and a long stretch of a walkway from which to view the construction site there isnt a lot there. I guess the city is moving on now which can only be a good thing, and the signs indicated theres some kind of permanent memorial in the works too.

After that I went to time square as mentioned above. It was epic. The lights were everywhere. The most impressive thing was the scale/complexity of some adverts though, from the huge picture of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter to the full video preview of the new series of 24 ('New York is about to get Jacked'). Its on a scale Ive never seen or even thought of before, which is exactly what I wanted.

Anyways Im going to leave you and try again down for the statue, but before I go I need to tell you of an australian girl at the hostel. Last night she came over to me and said "I know your a Pom but arent the yanks loud arseholes?'. Everytime she talks I think of this moment:

1 comment:

  1. I like that, I think I might start a lot of our conversations with "I know you're English but..."

    ReplyDelete