Sunday 10 January 2010

Culture Shock!

Before I came to America I was given numerous warnings about things that are done differently over here. Most of these have still come as a surprise though - if only because the differences are so subtle! Here's a few things Ive been struggling with.

Taxes

Each state is allowed to add a sales tax whilst your are at the counter. Although it varies between states it can be up to 15% - which I'm currently experiencing. Because this gets added on at the counter it means that you always pay more than the listed price. I was aware of this before I came over but I do keep getting caught out by it.

To me the system seems ripe for abuse. Ive spotted some shops that reserve the right to raise the price listed at their discretion. One of these tried to charge a guy from the hostel $180 for a $40 controller for the Wii here! It all means you have to be a little more careful while about, especially when combined with...

Tipping

Its well known that American waiting staff get paid below minimum wage. The tipping culture here makes up for that. Ive been told that tipping 'is like the grade system', 15% is a C, and so you never tip below that, but a good meal can be up to 30% of the bill or more. Im not complaining about this, I think its great that society has adopted a method of supporting underpaid workers, but it still confuses the hell out of me. Which food venues do I tip? McDonalds? Street Vendors? Cafes? I havent a clue..

Also when combined with taxes it means you end up paying a lot more for food that you initially think, which is tricky to budget for.

Jay Walking

Back home crossing the road is easy. You cross when you can and if you get hit you go to hospital. However in some states Jay walking is an offence. Sadly no-one can tell me which states have done this. It means whilst walking with people they will gladly cross the road through a red light then laugh at me standing there for the green man.

Ive been assured that only bored traffic cops would dare arrest someone for Jay walking. But that means it does still happen, and so until Im home Im refusing to cross the road on a red light.

3 comments:

  1. lol hope your not tipping at macky D's mate!!

    The norm is not to tip when your buying over the counter!

    Hope your enjoying you trip man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tipping things gets me here in the UK. I tried to tip at a Wetherspoons once and everyone thought I was CRAZY. Tip bartenders, waitresses, coffeeshops (IF they have a tip jar) and sometimes street vendors. Also, if you don't want to tip, just don't. They won't chase after you with flaming torches, I promise. And prepare for Oregon, NO SALES TAX there! Are you excited!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No sales tax? Im very excited!!! Thanks both for the advice!

    Marcus - could you ask Mark for his email address? Ive lost it...

    Hayley - Oregon is going to be Fantastic, not least because you set a drinking challenge for Ross. Im expecting loads of vomit from him

    ReplyDelete