Thursday 14 January 2010

Baltimore, or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the Bunk.


Lets get one thing straight - Baltimore is a wierd city. Ive never been anywhere in my life where you can see strip clubs from city hall (have you?). As you can see from the picture, I also discovered the National Great Blacks in wax museum! Think if Madame Tussards did Civil Rights. It also featured a large section on the slave ships from Africa to America, some of the most disturbing stuff Ive ever seen. Even in wax the sights of force feeding, overcrowding and rape are pretty disturbing, and that section of it proved rather more profound than I was expecting. Still, as the lady at the desk put it: 'Watch out cause theres 4 steps out of the slave ship to Obama' a metaphor? no. But it did provide some joy after the slave ships...

As many people will know, Baltimore was a place I went to mainly because of the Wire. I feel I should show you a little bit before continuing with the days story. To fill you in, the lawyer is working for one of the biggest drug dealers in the city:



I wanted to see some of the places it was filmed, and also get a feel for the city. My trip to the museum was partly because the 'hamsterdam' scenes are shot in the alleyway behind it. I got a few photos of the area, like the one below. It was really cool to see the areas that inspired the show, but at the same time I couldnt help but feel guilty for going in to photo areas as a tourist that people live in. Thats something that Ill need to take on board for future trips I guess.



After I got back I went to the city centre, the city hall and courts are fantastic buildings, and the world trade center is certainly unique (its the worlds tallest pentagonal building). Baltimore definitely has something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment