Monday 11 January 2010

New York, New York. A hell of a town?


So my time in the Empire state is almost at a close. Ive managed to visit 4 of the 5 boroughs (although Staten Island was visited for approximately 2 minutes before I hopped straight back on the ferry...) with Queens being the only place left unexplored - such a shame.

Being such a big city theres been some brilliant sights, none of them taller than myself. The definitive proof of this is in the picture to the left - see! Despite being shorter than myself, Lady Liberty was a very lovely sight. The island doesnt take long to get to and the crown is open for exploration (if you get there before 3.30PM, which I did not).

Another highlight for the week was the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), which is free to get into on fridays after 4pm (top tip). They had an amazing Tim Burton exhibition, which had all the characters from the nightmare before christmas there for you to see, and loads of production and set pieces from various films, including Batmans mask. Unfortunately that section banned cameras, so Im going to put up a picture from the other highlight of the museum - some Picasso! Cubism is a type of art I can actually get, so I got really excited at all the crazy pictures, but this was my favourite.

Ive been staying in Harlem (as previously mentioned). The area has a bad rep for obvious reasons, but right now its going through a lot of regeneration, and Ive felt really at home here. The people in general have been really friendly, and on occasion have even stopped to help me if Ive been looking particularly lost. One thing Ive really enjoyed when at stores or out and about is that if you say 'thank you' people just say 'your welcome'. Seems obvious but in Britain if you say that to someone you can guarentee they'll say the exact same thing back to you.

One more area Ive really enjoyed is Central Park. I only made it there today for the first time, but its HUGE. It has a lake, a 'woods' area, baseball fields, an Ice skating rink, a boathouse, a giant obelisk, and loads of little paths. I think if I come here in the summer it could be the place of choice for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment