Saturday 23 January 2010

The Boston Tea Party

One of the iconic moments of the American revolution came after the British Government tried to impose taxes on tea. In protest the people of Boston refused to return three shiploads of taxed tea and dumped it in the harbour, and this became known as the Boston Tea Party. Since I'm in Boston, I thought to myself what better way would there to be celebrate this historic event than, well, having a tea party!!


Unfortunately the Tea party got off to a bad start. When I went to tourist information and asked where the site of the Tea Party was, the information officer replied 'it isnt there any more - it was struck by lightning and destroyed'. Bad omen? No. He was talking about the plaque not the actual site. The picture there was taken where I was assured the dunking of the tea took place, and as you can see, it was a fun-filled, joyous party of tea and happiness. Id also like to point out that unlike the American's Boston Tea Party, mine involved drinking the tea - as you're supposed to.


After the drinking, of course, came the symbolic dunking of the Tea in the old Boston harbour (now a canal). On the left Im displaying the anger of America at the poor taxation polcies of the British. I think an appropriate subtitle would be 'Taxation without representation? I do not think so!'.

After this came the actual putting of the tea into the harbour - Id like to point out here only one teabag, nothing plastic or bad. On the right is the shot of the conclusion of this historic re-enactment of the event.



With the ceremonies over, Im proud to have taken part in my own Boston Tea Party. I feel my version was better for several reasons, which I am now going to list.

1. The tea was drank - why waste good tea?
2. Only one teabag was put in the water, so my party was better for the environment.
3. In my party a British man was celebrating an American event - celebrating the coming together of cultures rather than a seperation.
4. My party has photographic evidence of occuring, the original party doesnt even have a plaque.
5. People were happy at my party, there was no anger at all.
6. My party was much cheaper, and arguably had the same cultural impact, which therefore makes it much more cost-effective.

Commemerative T-shirts are not yet available, but feel free to put in a request.

2 comments:

  1. In light of the cultural impact of said event, apparently in addition to "Early Grey" and Lady Grey" teas, Twinnings are releasing a new brand of "Other James Gray" Teas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do "Other James Gray" teas come with a hint of irony?

    ReplyDelete