Wednesday 28 September 2011

Just One Cornetto...

Venice is everything I expected it to be: expensive, touristy, dirty and sinking. I loved it.

The place is like a maze. On our first night there, we tried to find the train station off the island to our hotel for the night. It took us an hour and a half to find it, compared to only half an hour getting to the other side of Venice on the way out. Part of this is cause it was dark, and Venice is situated exactly halfway between peaceful and creepy at night, but part of it was the navigation signs.


The signs point you in the direction of landmarks, but there's way too few of them. To make up for this, many locals have put up home made signs to help the tourists, or simple drawn them on the walls. However, there is a third type of sign. The final type looks identical to the local, home made signs, except they point in the wrong direction. I'm sure this frustrates many people who visit Venice. I found it fucking hilarious - kudos to whoever makes them!


As you probably know, there's a lot of water about. There's also no cars, all the streets and paths are for pedestrians, and the only other transport is by boat. There's also gondolas. I didn't get one, but there's plenty of people who did. What excited me most was that singing gondolas actually exist!

One thing that did surprise me was the number of shops from big name brands trying to integrate themselves with the islands. The Disney store has a big picture of Mickey on a gondola. I think, however, the best thing I saw was this:


Who the fuck goes to Venice for a McDonald's?

No comments:

Post a Comment