Friday 30 September 2011

The Dirty North

Final stop: Milan.

A few people asked me why we were bothering with Milan. It's pretty dirty, and mainly known for fashion (not that fashion is bad, it's just not an interest for me). I think it was a shrewd move. Aside from some of the most pushy street sellers we've come across, and a fauxstralian thief (fake Australian, and he didn't steal anything important), we did a load of interesting stuff here.

After arriving, we headed straight for the San Siro. AC Milan were playing Viktoria Plzen in the Champions League! I was surprised at how cheap the tickets were (22 Euro), but mainly excited for my first Champions League match. The Italian crowd were great fun; setting off flares and showing a hell of a lot more organisation than I've seen on the St. James's Park terraces. AC won 2-0, and the match was fairly entertaining, although their presence around the box could have been a bit sharper.


The highlight of Milan (for me) was the Last Supper. The history of this painting is brilliant. Da Vinci fucked up his painting material, and as a result the work has been unstable since he finished it. It's on a wall, so it's kind of stuck where it is, but it's survived flooding, bombing, and someone cutting a door through the feet of Jesus. It underwent major restoration in the late 20th Century, and the fact it's still visible is a huge achievement. I'm not an art buff, as we've covered in previous posts, but this image earns my respect purely from the amount of shit it's went through. The picture below isn't the real deal - no pictures are allowed of anything remotely famous in Italy.


The hostel is pretty quiet here, but I want to give a final shout out to the lift. It's the smallest lift I've ever been in:


postscript

I'm heading back home tomorrow, so this is the end of the content. I do, however, have another competition, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment