Monday 15 February 2010

The Small Talk Blues

Im a miserable fuck who hates talking to people. Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but I have realised over the last year that Im really a lot more happy in my own company than most people. If you're my friend, or a friend of my friend then your fine! Im more than happy to chat about anything and everything. You guys are interesting. You make my life better with your stories and wisdom. If I dont know someone, then I can find the small talk irritating, awkward, and most recently a complete waste of my time. I like speaking to my friends because theyve been filtered out as the best people. Their friends have had a full background check so I can trust them. If Ive just met you, then its complete pot luck.

The reason Im ranting is because of a trend thats started a few weeks ago. Pretty much everyone I spoke to until Chicago was cool - Ive even met some really good friends (and the same applies to some of the people I met in Chicago too). There does seem, however, to have been a rot setting in. People are talking to me despite my best body language doing everything I can to say 'stay the fuck away', and its getting worse.

It started out with a thespian in Chicago. If I have headphones in, or Im reading a book, I would usually take these as signals which other people would use not to speak to me. This guy wasnt following any rules, he was a rebel. Within minutes he was quoting Shakespeare to me. The next evening with my headphones in a guy kept talking to me while I was trying to watch something! Even my best one word, disinterested responses could not put him off.

It was time for drastic action: the double fuck off. I put in my headphones AND started to read. But it hasnt worked.

In the last week Ive had 2 drastic examples of how bad things are getting. I had my headphones in and was playing a game on my iPhone on the bus. The lady next to me leaned over, and waved her hand in front of me to signal the start of conversation. What the fuck? Where I'm staying right now has little curtains on the bed for extra privacy - something that really excited me (not like that...). Last night I had my headphones in, I was reading a book and had the curtains shut. A guy came into the room, poked his head THROUGH the curtains and began talking to me.

Suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I really hate it when random people come up and talk to you. Maybe you should just shout LOL!! FAG!! at them to get them to run off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try putting on a thick accent and talking about something a bit dodgy. Usually works a treat for me, could try pretending to be a religious nut but could backfire over there!

    ReplyDelete